Got the shrimp last night. Have everything else other than fresh parsley leaves which I “may” go out and get in a bit or may go with dried and rehydrated. Could not find fresh shrimp so ended up with frozen. Will put in fridge to thaw in a few. Not sure if we’re having this for lunch or supper or both. 🙂
Decided to go ahead and make a sheath for the new knife. Dug through the pile and found a piece that looked about right.
Fit the knife about right when folded over.
Bit at the top folded down and looks like it will work as the belt loop.
Got the tools out and some rivets. Punched the first hole in the belt loop and riveted it with the hammer as the rivet tool doesn’t have a deep enough throat to reach that one. Hole punch just fit.
Here’s how it looks from the back.
Used the new knife to trim the leather up. Did a great job! Top rivet was first one put in. Put the knife in place and pulled the leather around it and slid it in and out to adjust the fit and then punched the hole and put the rivet in. Second one was the one at the bottom to stop the blade from going any lower. Third one was through 3 thicknesses of leather as it holds the other side of the belt loop and took a longer rivet.
Last 2 rivets in and the sheath is done other than for oiling/waxing.
Knife fits good and tight and shouldn’t come out in the woods.
And that’s the sheath done. One piece of leather and 6 rivets. A small pile of scrap leather and all the tools used in the making.
Had an old carbon steel kitchen/steak knife that’s been kicking around for a while. Been wanting to do something with it and since our plans for the day got rained out decided to see what I could make. Got into the antler pile and found a piece that felt about right in my hand and with a little cutting, trimming, grinding, and filing got it to where it looked about right with the blade. Drilled holes in the end and dug/cut/filed till I could fit the tang down in the hole. Cut a piece of brass to fit the end of the antler and cut a slot for the blade. Cut a piece of brass rod and drilled a hole in the antler to pin the blade in. Kneaded up some epoxy and filled the holes up and then forced the blade in. Put the pin in and before the epoxy set beat on the ends with a hammer to swell them and set them in the holes and then let it set up. Once set up filed the guard and pin to properly fit the shape of the handle and filed the handle smooth. Did a bit of sanding and sharpened the blade and have a much nicer knife. No pix of the process but here are a couple of the finished product.
Haven’t decided on what kind of sheath I’m gonna make for it yet. Handle is a bit long for the blade but it feels good in the hand so am going to leave it this way and use it for a while and see how it works out.
Thought I had posted pictures of the vardo/camper after I got it finished enough to use but after looking around doesn’t look like I did. So went out this afternoon and took a few.
This first one is just a shot from the side. Canvas wall covering is holding up well.
And a shot from the front or hitch end. Am going to redo this side and put canvas over the wood. Battens are screwed on so shouldn’t be too much of a problem.
The back or door side. Still haven’t replaced the old camper door. Just another of those round tuits…
The bed in it’s daytime or single occupancy mode. Note the pullout table under the center.
And here it is with the frame pulled out. There are matching slats under the other side. 1×2’s with about a quarter inch left between them and screwed down on each end. Works quite well.
The table pulled out but leg not dropped down.
And a shot of the leg still in storage position. Door latches used to keep it up as well as to lock it to the floor if the rug wasn’t down.
Seat for the table or just chilling on the side over the wheel well. And the 2×4 that the movable part of the bed frame slides on. Seemed the simplest solution at the time and has worked out rather well.
Seat open showing storage area within. I’ve got assorted tools stored in this one. The one on the other side has food stuff and extra paper products.
Food, water, and assorted stuff storage and work area. Microwave for times we are camping with power.
Other side work/cooking area with bucket storage underneath. One is the toilet for those times when we are boon-docking and the other holds kerosene and lanterns to keep the odor down.
Paper towel and spice/seasoning holder with high tech hold down. 😉
And that’s pretty much it. We have used it several times over the last couple of years and it has worked out pretty good. Going to add additional leaves to the springs and better tires asap. Looking at putting in an AC too for summer camping. Will update as I get er done.